The Department of Transportation Services (DOTS) at Rutgers provides a comprehensive transit system which serves all destinations on the New Brunswick/Piscataway campuses. All of our campus buses are equipped to handle individuals with mobility concerns and have low entrance steps and/or mechanical platforms for wheelchair accessibility.
- For students who require accessible transportation who cannot utilize the typical campus bus service for a particular reason due to a temporary or permanent disability, Rutgers offers a paratransit van. To be considered for this additional van service, students must complete the Transportation Request Form.
- Students will need to ask their physical or medical provider to submit the Certification of Medical Need.
- The student will receive provisional van services for two weeks pending the receipt of the Certification of Medical Need from their physician.
- It is the student's responsibility to ensure that their physician completes and submits the Certification of Medical Need form to allow for continuous transportation after the provisional two week period.
- Upon receipt of Certification of Medical Need form and satisfactory review, the coordinator of the van service will contact the student to discuss continued transportation needs and make appropriate arrangements.
- For full details on eligibility, policies and procedures for the Rutger's University Paratransit Van Services go to their online manual.
- All patrons (students, faculty, staff, visitor, vendor) who require accessible parking either temporary or permanent, to park in university parking areas must obtain a valid Rutgers parking permit. The parking permit you will receive and the respective fee is determined by:
- Your affiliation – i.e. student, faculty, staff, visitor, vendor
- Your time spent on campus – i.e. commuter, resident, night commuter, temporary employee, faculty/staff
Patrons with permanent disabilities must submit a copy (front only) of a state issued Permanently Disabled ID and placard to the Rutgers Department of Transportation Services. To submit the placard go to the DOTS Help Page. Click on "Get Help", select "permitting" as the category and then attach a copy of your state issued placard. A valid Rutgers parking permit is required in addition to the state placard.
Patrons with temporary disabilities must submit a copy (front only) of a state issued Temporary Disabled ID to the Rutgers Department of Transportation Services. To submit the placard go to the DOTS Help Page. Click on "Get Help", select "permitting" as the category and then attach a copy of your state issued placard. Disability parking privileges will coincide with the expiration date of the placard OR the treating physician must submit a Certification for Medical Need Form to continue past the expiration date. A valid Rutgers parking permit is required in addition to the state placard.
- For patrons that do not have a permanent or temporary state issued placard, they must:
Bus Dispatch: 848-932-7817
Main web site: http://rudots.rutgers.edu/
If you have further questions regarding accessible transportation contact the Office of Disability Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.