Alternate Format Text Services
Welcome to the Alternate Format Text (AFT) page. AFT is the term applied to course materials such as textbooks, electronic documents, exams and other print materials which students with print disabilities need converted into accessible formats. AFT may include but are not limited to: braille, audio, large print and electronic format. After being approved for AFT as an accommodation there are several steps you will need to complete.
In this section you will find helpful information on how to:
- Schedule your initial appointment
- Prepare for your initial meeting
- Check if your course materials exist already in an accessible format
- Prepare for submitting a request for AFT
- Alternative Format Text Request Form
ASL/ CART Services
Reporters trained in real-time verbatim transcription, contracted and supervised by ASL Administrator, transcribe class, lectures or conference information for students for deaf or hard-of hearing.
When requesting services students have the following options:
- On-Site Captioning
- Remote Captioning
American Sign Language (ASL) and oral interpreters contracted and supervised by ASL Administrator for students who are deaf or hard-of hearing.
How do I request services?
Students looking to request services will need to fill out the Interpreting/Captioning service request form no later than 5 business days before the scheduled event or class. The Office of Disability Services may not be able to process a request submitted later than the required time.
Table and Chair Request
In order to receive table and chair accommodations for a course or courses a student must:
- Officially register with ODS and have a documented disability that requires a specific table and/or chair as a reasonable accommodation supported by their documentation.
- Complete the Table and Chair Request Form online for each course and submit the form electronically. Please contact the Office of Disability Services at 848-202-3111 with any questions or concerns.
If any changes occur to a student's initial request (drop/add; withdrawal; request canceled) the student MUST notify ODS.