The Department of Transportation Services (DOTS) at Rutgers provides a comprehensive transit system which serves all destinations on the New Brunswick/Piscataway campuses. All of our campus buses are equipped to handle individuals with mobility impairments and have low entrance steps and/or mechanical platforms for wheelchair accessibility. The average walking distance from each transit stop to classroom or residential facilities is 1⁄8 – 1⁄4 miles or a 2-5 minute walk. The duration of a transit trip between campuses averages from 5-20 minutes. Parking decks and lots are also centrally located to academic and residential areas also averaging a 2-5 minute walk.
Rutgers is dedicated to meeting the needs of our students, faculty, and staff with legitimate medical reasons for additional accessible van services. This process is for students who require accessible transportation who cannot utilize the typical campus bus service for a particular reason due to a temporary or permanent disability. For these students, Rutgers offers a paratransit van. Every effort will be made to honor legitimate requests. Abuse of the system will threaten the viability of the system for everyone. To be considered for this additional van service, students must complete the Transportation Request form as outlined below.
The steps to apply for the accessible van service:
- Fill out the Transportation Request form.
- The van service coordinator will contact you after receiving the completed request form.
- Ask your physician to submit the Certification of Medical Need.
- You will receive provisional van services for two weeks pending the receipt of the Certification of Medical Need form from your physician.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your physician completes and submits the Certification of Medical Need form to allow for continuous transportation after the provisional two week period.
- Upon receipt of Certification of Medical Need form and satisfactory review, the coordinator of the van service will contact you to discuss your continued transportation needs and make appropriate arrangements.