Before submitting a request with ODS

On this page you will find information about how to obtain accessible textbooks and other course materials (not available through the publisher), The Office of Disability Services converts course materials for students with print disabilities into alternative format texts or AFT.  In order for students to obtain AFT, they must be registered with ODS and have approval of AFT as a reasonable accommodation. Students who utilize AFT typically use assistive technology as a means of reading their course materials.

Have I met with the AFT Administrator?

ODS has an Alternative Format Text Administrator.  who is available to assist students with their AFT requests and assistive technologies.  All students who are approved for AFT should schedule a meeting (in person, via skype, or facetime) with the AFT/AT Administrator. Please email them to set up an appointment at During this meeting you will also be asked to read and sign the Alternative Format Text Agreement, which you are encouraged to review online.

Have I compiled my Course Materials list?

For every student requesting AFT, they must provide ODS with a complete list of their course materials that will be converted into AFT. In some cases it may be difficult to find out what materials are required for your course. The How to find my book list page, will help you navigate the Rutgers systems to do so.

Have I checked to see if those materials already exist in an accessible format?

There are many resources available to you which may already have your books available in an accessible format. Please visit our how to find your textbook in electronic formats before requesting assistance from our office.

Can I convert sakai, library reserve readings, or class hand-outs?

Yes. To do so, you must specifically request the additional materials (i.e. Sakai, library reserve, class handouts) to be provided in alternate format. Many students are able to work directly with their SAKAI materials and do not require the ODS to process these. If the instructor changes or adds more articles, it is your responsibility to communicate these changes to ODS.

Once the request has been completed you will be able to access your course reading materials within the Universal Library in Kurzweil 3000 and Firefly, the web version of Kurzweil 3000, or you can pick up the course reading materials from the ODS.